Old Home Woes | 3 Warning Signals To Completely Revamp Your Home's Wired Electrical Systems

Modern technology has given rise to a wide range of gadgets that run on a home's electrical systems. While newer homes are more equipped to handle added electrical loads, the wiring in older homes is certainly not built for it. Outdated and worn out wiring in old homes is more common than you think, and it could lead to unprecedented electrical fires. If you live in an older home, be sure to look out for these signs that you need to hire electricians to replace your home's wiring.

Circuit Breakers and Fuses Give Way Often

Circuit breakers help to protect a home from potential electrical fires by tripping when the electrical system is overloaded with more energy than it can hold. A fuse provides the same protective service in a home. Fuses must be replaced, while circuit breakers can be switched back on. When circuit breakers and fuses give way more often than normal, it's a strong indication that more electricity is passing through your wires than they can hold. This could be because too many powered devices are plugged into a circuit at once. This is a clear indication that you will need to replace your wiring before any dangerous fires are started. Resist the urge to replace circuit breakers and wires on your own. Instead, leave it up to an electrician from a company like A.J. Palmer Electrical to change your wiring and circuit breakers since they have been trained to perform the job safely.

Constant Dimming and Flickering of Lights

Lights that constantly dim or flicker are more signs of overloaded electrical wires and circuits. Good wiring on a circuit will ensure the devices and lights are powered to capacity causing no issues like dimming and flickering. If this is a regular occurrence in your home, call in the electricians to assess whether your wires need replacement. They will check for faulty wires or poorly performing circuit breakers and will take corrective action.

Undeniable Burning Odours

A constant burning odour in the home is perhaps the scariest sign, as it indicates that a potential electrical fire is imminent. The burning odour starts with an acrid smell. In some cases, there may be a short in the circuit. In other cases, the burning odour could arise because of burnt wiring inside the wall. This is an important sign to shut off your electrical circuit breakers and mains before calling the electricians. You'll also want to keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case it gets out of hand before the electrician arrives.

Treat these warning signals as important and be sure to call in the electricians immediately to fix your outdated electrical systems.

About Me

Electrics and Floods: Safety, Repair and Tips

Welcome to my blog. My name is Eidie, and a few years ago, I woke in the middle of the night to find our house on fire. Luckily, everyone was able to get out safely, and when I found out what caused the fire, I knew I had to educate other people about the risk. The fire started due to some flooding that caused some electrics to stop working. The flood water got into the fixture and caused serious problems. Now, I have learned everything about how to detect these issues, how to avoid them and how to repair them. If you have leaks in your home or live in an area with flooding, look over these posts. They could save your life.

Tags

Archive